Question
Posted by: Andy | 2008-12-10

21 month old

Hi CS
I have a 21month old boy and am currently 5months pregnant. I live in JHB with their father and my family in the eastern cape. I am going to visit my parents with my son for christmas. Problem is they want me to leave him with them until new baby comes or even for good. According to them I won' t be able to handle 2 small kids.
How will this affect my son if I do make the decision to leave him with gparents until new baby comes. I doubt I will as I cannot imagine a day without him.

Andy

Certainly you can handle 2 small children. I'd guess a majority of women in this country handle 2 or more small children. And as Jane implies, do mothers of twins always give one away ? I also like her poin t --- if you really do find it dificult at first, one or both of them can come to you in Joburg and help you out in your own home. Actually, its unlikely the child would be harmed at that age by being left with his grandparents ( also something that happens fairly often in our country ) --- but you're the best judge of what you want and what you can cope with.

3
Posted by: andy | 2008-12-10

Thanks ladies, I totally agree, I just needed someone else to say it.

Reply to andy
Posted by: Jane | 2008-12-10

Your parents are being ridiculous! How can they ask you to leave your baby. How do you think parents of twins survive? Single moms do it, and you have their father to help. It wont be easy having a 2 year old and a new born, but thats why woman are so strong. If your family really cared, they would offer to come to JHB and help you out from there for a few weeks

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Cindy | 2008-12-10

Of course you can handle 2 small children. Some mothers have even more than 2 small children to handle. Don' t leave your child with your parents. Its your child. I have four of my own children and 2 stepchildren and handle them all on my own, including a 2 year old and a small baby.

Reply to Cindy