Posted by: GSD | 2009-01-12

20kg in two weeks

My question is am I feeding my dogs too much? I have a six month old boxer puppy and three month old GSD puppy and I feed both two times a day. I feed them Ultra dog, and they`ve just finished a 20kg pack in two weeks and at R400 this is too much.

Dear GSD

Read on the bag and follow the advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-12

Remember also that as the pups grow, their intake must increase - feeding is per body weight.

The good news is that once they stop growing, their appetites do reduce somewhat - you have a few heavy months ahead!

If you switch brands, please remember that both pups should be on a large breed puppy food until they' re 18 months - after that, gradually move them onto the adult version.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2009-01-12

I' m assuming you are giving each around 400-500 grams per day?
That is fine - if you' re feeding according to their weight and what the pack says.
Welcome to the joys of having dogs.
Contact Nola (manufacturers of Ultra Dog) and see if they can offer you a better deal if you buy from them directly.
Eukanuba, Royal Canin and Vet' s Choice have " Breeder' s Clubs"  that offers the food at a reduced price if you buy in bulk.
Or contact the breeders and find out if they belong to these breeders programmes - maybe they can supply food to you at a reduced price.

Reply to WR