Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/04/18

2 yr old male daush humping everything...

Please help me, my son''s daush is humping everything, moving or not. Including my 6 week old puppies, my 3 cats, my daughters friends, my labbie, EVERYTHING!

He is not nuetered and I was wondering if that would help.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Tracy, annoying and embarrising behaviour! Yes, neuter him as soon as you can. This normally reduces the amount of humping by at least 70%. You dont say how old he is, but in an older dog it can take between 6 weeks to 3 months for the testerone levels to drop all the way down, so may not be an overnight thing. Do speak to your vet about it, but unless you are a professional breeder all dogs and bitches really should be sterilized. Take care, Scotty

4
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/04/21

Thanks Scotty, will most certainly try that and hope it helps. Nothing worse than having an embarassing pet....LOL... Have a great safe Easter weekend......

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Scotty | 2011/04/21

Hi Tracy, pleased about that, good decision! It may take a bit of time for the behaviour to stop but what you can do is keep an eye on him and the SECOND you see him about to start, call him and offer a distraction such as a nice chewy bone or a toy etc. The habit has already been formed and this will help to break it. Also ensure he gets lots of mental and physical stimulation by way of walks which will give him something else to think about and ease the frustration. Do let me know how it goes, thanks Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/04/20

Thanks Scotty, he is about two. My son brought him with when he moved back home two weeks ago. All my other animals baring the puppies and mom(who we inherited when the owner up and moved out of her house) have been spayed and neutered.

I want to have him seen to as soon as possable.

Thanks,

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/20

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert