Posted by: cs | 2009-05-18

2 year old needs vitamen boost

my 2 1/2 year old needs a vitament boost for her immune system as well as more iron. she needs this as she' s not eating very well - does not like meat at all !
i see you recommend vit a &  d as well as iron - what vitament supplement would you recommend for me to give her with all of this in ? and that will maybe help boost her appetite as well ? thank you !

Dear CS
There are many different multivitamin and mineral supplements for young children on the market, such as Vi-daylin with minerals. Discuss the various options with your pharmacist as it is important that children as well as adults do not ingest overdoses of the so-called fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. We all need the correct quantities of these nutrients, but having too much can also be detrimental. I trust your dr has prescribed an appropriate iron supplement for a child of her age? If not, ask the chemist if it is necessary to give her more iron than is contained in a product like Vi-daylin with minerals. If possible you need to ensure that she eats a well balanced, varied diet. For example, although meat is our best source of iron, all wheaten bread and maize meal in SA is now fortified with iron, zinc, vitamins A, B1, B2, niacin, folic acid and pyridoxine. Other infant cereals are also fortified, so she should be obtaining some of her nutrient iron from these foods too. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on "Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to see what and how much children of 2,5 years should eat.