Question
Posted by: MPC | 2011/01/11

2 year old Boy

Goodday doctor, hope all is well.

I need dr input please. my son is 2 years old and still suffers badly with reflux he is on medication to help and get it under control. Motilium and Nexium. Somethimes some Gaviscon as well. Can a special diet make a difference to get the reflux under control. He is also highly allergic to peanuts.
Will it be of value to go and see a Dietician for some help.

Your help is much appreciated

Dear MPC
I am sorry to hear that your 2-year-old son is still suffering from severe reflux. This is a difficult condition to control in adults and even more so in young children. Using the correct diet for him as an individual can help a great deal and I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with a diet that avoids foods that can potentially worsen the reflux (any spicy or fatty foods, drinks containing gas, etc) and also avoids all peanuts, but still promotes normal growth and development.
Do take the lad to a dietitian ASAP

1

Dear MPC
Do take the lad to a dietitian ASAP