Question
Posted by: Ang | 2009-03-03

2 Year old

My two year old is currently on Reuteri drops in the evening and the probiflora chewy tablets in the morning. Are they different strains or the same?
Is there any other strain you could recommend for a young boy ?
He was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and I have read on the net that there is a lot of positive research being completed that shows patients symptoms lessoning with the daily usage of probiotis, so I would like to ensure that he has sufficient strains to assist his colon in functioning.
Does diarrhea affect the amount of times probiotis should be given ?
Is it possible to overdose on probiotics ?
Do you have any different suggestions to maybe a better type of probiotic ?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Ang
Probiotic health benefits are strain specific. This means that if 1 strain is proven to be effective in scientific studies there is no reason to give more strains or different products.
For example if you take an antibiotic for a chest infection, lets say Amoxycillin; you would not think “I better also give Clarithromycin”, because Amoxycillin has been shown to work on its own.
In the same way Reuteri is 1 strain of probiotic which is amongst the best in the world as it has been most extensively scientifically studied and is proven to work.
This is why I recommend it and I would suggest that all your son needs is 1 Reuteri Chew tablet daily. Chew tablets are cheaper than drops and easier to administer.
Refer to www.reuteri.com
Now to address your other questions:
- There is some thinking that a probiotic dose can be increased if a patient is suffering from bad diarrhoea. So for example for 2-3 days you would take Reuteri Chew tabs twice daily instead of once daily.
- No, it is not really possible to overdose, but mega doses have not shown significantly better effects. More is not necessarily better, quite the opposite sometimes. If taking 1 a day works why would you want to take 3 a day?
- Reuteri chew tabs – 1 daily = safe, scientifically proven, easy to remember because only 1 daily, cost effective and tastes good.