Question
Posted by: Ash | 2011/08/18

2 times a week?

Im 27 yrs old, female(dont know if thats important) and I want to lose weight and gain fitness. the problem is I only have 2 days a week to exercise. saturday n sunday, 1 hour each. what is it that I can do to gain fitness and lose about 6 kgs?

is it even enough?Im worried. The last time I exercised was 18 march 2011. please advise.

Hi Ash

It's difficult with that limited time, is there no way to squeeze 20 min on at least two weekdays as well?

If not, then just make the best of the weekends you have available - it'll just take a lot longer. My advice is that you look at walking and running, only because they're the most accessible and effective, in terms of getting the most out of a short time.

I'd say start with 40 to 50 minutes of walking both days. Give that a couple of weeks, and then increase to the full hour. Once you're walking briskly for 60 minutes, start introducing jogging. Maybe 2 min run, 4 min walk, repeated 10 times. That still gives 60 minutes. Do that for a couple of weeks, and then as your fitness improves, run more and walk less. So maybe 3 min walk, 3 min run for the hour. Then 2 min walk, 4 min run for the hour and so on.

Eventually, you'll get to say 20 min run, 2 min walk, and then 30 min run, 2 min walk and a solid 40 min run. By the time you're running for 40 minutes, twice a week, you'll be fit and that should help with weight loss.

But diet is maybe more valuable for weight loss, and so that's what I'd focus on. For fitness- training as much as you can is key, but for weight, it's diet. So consider a dietician as a key part of this journey!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/08/23

Hi Ash

Reply to fitnessdoc