Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2011/10/17

2 ROTTIE BROTHERS

Hi there,

We have a problem on our hands.

We have seperated out 1.2 year old rotties from visitors, and have not trained them. These two dogs fight and growl at each other constantly... they fight sometimes so badly that we are afraid we may lose one....

If we put a leash on them, they tug and tug until it comes off.. they are totally out of control, and they want to attack all the people that come to visit us.
neither of them are neuted... they are due this month.

WHAT on earth can we do with them????? I dont want to get rid of one...

Ingrid

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

hi Ingrid, what I would suggest first of all is to get the dogs sterilized immediately. Two intact males are more likely to fight than sterilized dogs as their place in the canine hierarchy is much more important.

Additionally,what could be a factor is that when we invite dogs into our home we create a combined human/canine pack and if the dogs are not receiving sufficient human company and stimulation they often view their 'people' as a valuable resource and more fights are likly to break out.

Your dogs are really in the adolescent period when heirarchy is extremely important to them and if they can get a sniff of a female in season the stress factors are going to rocket.

Another point is that if the dogs are not getting out for regular walks and mental stimulation, they will be frustrated and more likely to fight.

If you look at the possible causes above you will see that you really do have a recipe for disaster on your hands and I would recommend getting in a behaviourist urgently. The cost of vet bills can be heavy and the amount that a qualified behaviourist will charge is small in comparison and should be viewed as an investment.

Please do contact me either via the site or scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with somebody. Unfortunately where fear and aggressive behaviour are concerned a forum is not the place to give advice as the consequences can be very serious and you need to be show 'hands on' how to spot trouble before it happens, bring in House Rules and learn how to walk the dogs. Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: Charlotte | 2011/12/01

I have a male Rottie, 3yrs KUSA reg, named Bullet. He is an absolute darling of a dog, but one HAS to train Rotties, they need lots of exercise, and must know who the leader of the pack is, remember they are " working"  dogs and that is the reason why they thrive on training and it is not difficult to train them, they are naturals!!! Also they need to be socialised with children and the whole family from about 6 weeks old and proper breeders make sure this happens so by the time you collect your Rottie already he/she is familiar with people around.
Keeping two un-neutered male Rots together is a recipe for trouble. I hope you can get this sorted, they are such wonderful dogs and so misunderstood. You have to enjoy your Rots, not fear them. Good luck!!

Reply to Charlotte
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert