Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2008-12-10

2 Questions re cats

Good Morning Cybervet
I have two cat questions, here goes : (sorry it' s a bit long, I tried to give all background info !!)

1. I have 6 moggies (5 Rescues and one SPCA special), varying in age from 9 years old to just under 1 year old. They all eat Hills, kitten and adult, and are up to date on all their vacinations and deworming. Two weeks ago one of the younger ones started looking a bit ill. Nothing I could pin-point, just lethargic and she did not have the normal naughty twinkle in her eyes. She was also not meowing. I took her to the vet. Her temperature was normal. She had slightly swollen glands in her throat, and had lost her voice, and the vet said she had a crampy tummy. They gave her an anti-biotic injection, and 5 days of general anti-biotic tablets. The vet said it was probably a mild throat infection, and that it would go away with the tablets. After about 4 days she was back to normal.
Now, her sister and 2 of my other cats seem to be feeling a bit ill. They are all eating normally. I have just noticed that they do not seem to be their normal selves. I am one of those neurotic pet owners, and notice very quickly if something is not right !!!
Question : Is there some kind of multi-vitamin, tonic, alternative medication etc that I could give all my cats to help them feel back to normal. Or should I rather get them all to the vet ( and start saying big prayers that I get a December bonus :-) ?

2. My husband recently got an Oriental kitten from breeders in JHB. We are in KwaZulu Natal. We did our homework re breeders, and are extremely happy with the breeders and our new kitten. His certificate classes him as a Siamese Himalayan Blue Point. He was born on 03.08.2008. A few weeks ago he got an eye infection, which my vet said was a minor infection, possibly due to climate change. He gave us Terra-Cortril eye drops to apply twice a day. The infection cleared up in a few days. But, it has returned in the one eye, and I have started applying the drops again. I have spoken to the breeders, and they are very confused as they have not had eye problems in their cattery. He is a show cat, and we will be entering him in shows from next year. Hopefully he will win lots of food to feed all his new brothers and sisters at home (as long as it is Hills :-)
Question : Is there anything I can use to clean his eyes daily, to maybe prevent infections, or should I just stick with the vet and the Terra-Cortril drops ?

Thanks so much

Dear Natasha

1. Some have used Echinacea drops to biuld up the immunity. I would give it a week or so to see if they can fight the infection without antibiotics.

2. You cant really prevent infections in the eyes with something. Treat the infection and do not just use the Terra Cortril without the vet checking for an ulcer on the eye. If a ulcer is present TC can make it a lot worse.