Question
Posted by: lelani | 2008/08/11

2 products

Hi Doctor

Could you please give me your opinion on the following 2 products:

Skin Doctors Instant Facelift which promises to tighten skin for about 5 hours to be used for special occasions  and

Garnier' s UltraLiftPro-X which promises to plump up the skin.

Thank you very much

Lelani

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lelani, thank you for the question.

Skin Doctors Instant Facelift:

My first concern is that the direction for use, on their web page, only indicates the use around the eye area. Secondly, there are no independent dermatological studies that have been performed (or that I can find) to prove the effectiveness and the duration of this effect, if any. Looking at the ingredients of the product also does not show any specific evidence into the products effectiveness. In saying all of this, there are a number of products on the market, that do have a temporary and mild effect on tightening the skin and therefore reducing the appearance of wrinkles. The only way to find if this product works for you is to try it, so hopefully one can get a sample first.

Garnier Ultra Lift Pro:

Overall, Garnier’s product range, is based on natural ingredients and I feel that you will not go wrong giving this a try. I unfortunately cannot find any specific studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of Garnier’s Pro-Xylane. Pro-Xylane is a derivative of xylose which has been shown to increase the hydration of skin and increase proteoglycans that make up the component of the extracellular matrix, or the "filler" substance existing between cells. Theoretically this should have an effect on smoothing out wrinkles.