Posted by: Rusha | 2008-11-05

2 plate machine

I want to buy me that 2plate vibrating machine that goes up and down(not the one with the one plate that tilt side to side). Will this machine help me to loose weight? I saw some people standing on it and it looks like it can work because every part of their body was shaking!!!! The person who is selling this told me it' s the only one that was approved by medical.

Hi Vanessa

I don't believe they're effective for weight loss, no. They have some merits, certainly. The problem is that the marketers go crazy and then next you know the machine does everything and anything you could ever want. So having initially developed as having quite good effects as a means for injury rehabilitation, it soon developed into a machine that was guaranteed to cause weight loss, improve fitness, immune name it. And so the credibility is undermined by this exaggeration.

The only evidence that exists and that is credible and sound is for injury rehab and prevention, balance and joint strength. It's quite useful for that purpose. But for weight loss and fitness, the jury's still out. You'd have a hard time convincing me that it's better than cardio exercise like running or cycling or aerobics for weight loss purposes. Just because you're shaking does not mean you're burning energy or fat, and if the muscle is not actively working, then it's an ineffective method of weight loss. So cardio training is far more effective.