Posted by: Lina | 2010-02-24

2 month old constant eye problem

HI doc, not sure if this is up your alley.

My daughter has had a ey infection since birth, I have beed prescribed anti biotical eye ointment as well as others and none of them work. She has constant yellow discharge comming from her eye. And I am not sure who to take her to?

She also is still " vomiting"  milk through her nose, it never comes out her mouth always through her nose and she also makes choking sounds when this happenes. I was told it''s reflux and was advised by the GP to add a little rice cereal with her formula and have been doing so for the last month and it has made it a little better but its still comming out her nose.

Is this normal or not?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lina

You need to see a Paediatrician to decide if treatment of the reflux is needed. There is proper treatment available, that would be safe for your baby. Untreated reflux may be causing nasal damage, as well as irritation to the eye, as the tearduct opens in the nasal passage. Fluids, such as caused by reflux, may find its way into the eye, via the duct. This will cause severe irritation, and a discharge.
Reflux is common in newborns, and usually disappears at the age of 9 months, but the babies that suffer severely should be identified and treated, to avoid longterm damage.

By seeing a paediatrician, you may be advised on further opinions, if this is needed.