Posted by: Col | 2012-08-30

2 Month Old Baby Constipated

Hi - my niece in the Seychelles has a 2 month old daughter who has been constipated. She didn''t pass a stool for 5 days so she took her to the GP who advised Liquid Paraffin which she gave her the prescribed dose once a day and only after 3 days did her tummy work - she apparently passed a very small and fairly soft stool. After this she has now not passed a stool for another 5 days. The baby is breast-feeding but doesn''t want to stay on the breast for long and starts to cry and also obviously seems to be very uncomfortable and cry at other times with the above problem. Another family member in the Seychelles also has a 2 1/2 year old child so in the interim (while waiting for your reply) I have advised her to check the dosage and age on her Infant Glycerine Suppositories to see if they can use one to help the baby in the meantime. I said that I would also check with you because I remember years ago when I worked as a Pharmacy Assistant the Pharmacist used to sometimes advise Moms to add a little sugar into the baby''s bottle if the baby was experiencing constipation but can''t remember exactly how much, how often or from what age the baby should be. Please advise. I have also advised my niece to drink more water to help with the breast-feeding. How often should a 2-month old baby''s tummy work and should she be giving her water in a bottle at this age? Thank-you.

A baby that is being breast fed, should pass at least 6 to 8 loose stools per day. You can tell your niece to insert a paediatric glycerine suppositry. If the baby does pass a loose stool, she is not constipated. If she does pass a hard stool, she is constipated. If the baby is constipated, your niece can give her Laxette syrup ( a high sucrose syrup that is not absorbed in the baby's gut). Laxette syrup is safe to use and gentle on a baby's stomach. If the child produces a soft stool after the suppositry, it is possible that she is under fed and hence not passing any stools, as she is not receiving the correct amount of mother's milk.

Keep me informed.

Posted by: Purple | 2012-09-04

What the doctor has said is correct for a baby under six weeks. At eight weeks old as this baby is, a stool once in two weeks is as normal as seven in one day. This baby is not constipated.

Reply to Purple