Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2011/06/11

2 Minute Noodles

Hi Doc, my eating patterns at work is not very regular because of clients that come in, etc. So, when I can, I eat a pack of 2 minute noodles. I know they are quite high in calories but I''ve found that if you let them cook for more than 5 minutes, when you drain them a lot oil drains with it (a good thing). Would it then be an OK meal if a lot of the oil was cooked off and drained? I know the seasoning is very salty and not healthy (I have low blood pressure) but despite that, would it be OK?

Dear Jenna
I don't have a packet of standard 2 minute noodles in my cupboard, but I have just checked a label for a 2 minute noodle product that I evaluated for a client last year and the energy and fat contents per 100g (a full packet) for that specific product were 1410 kJ pf energy and 5.7 g of fat (in this case derived from palm oil). If you are not trying to lose weight, then having a meal that supplies 1410 kJ of energy only represents 16,8% of your daily energy allowance of 8400 kJ. If you only have 3 main meals a day, we usually allocate 2800 kJ or 1/3 of the daily energy allowance per meal. So I don't think that having 2 minute noodles for your lunch is particularly fattening. As you say, the product has a very high salt content, which is not desirable. If you plan your meals and snacks for work, you could have low-fat yoghurt or a good mixed vegetable soup with a lower salt content for lunch instead. Click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and do a search for 'Lunch box' to get some tips on healthy lunches.

2
Posted by: amanda | 2011/06/13

Good morning, for a couple of months now - im using a product that is on the market with more than 1000 times - in some cases - even higher than 1000x the Daily doses. I dont eat healthy at all. Never or very seldom meat - or fish - but love fruit. Fresh or canned - i eat Yoghurt - and a weetbix - 2 slices of bread - normally wholewheat. So please tell me what you think because i dont know if i may mention the name of the product but its Solal - 3 a day - VIT.

thanks

Reply to amanda

Dear Jenna