Posted by: Melissa | 2008-11-25

2 Minute Energy Spurts

I am trying to get into shape and fit and healthy. So I' m eating correctly - or at least trying to, and I' m down to 2 cigarettes at night, the only time I smoke. This morning, for the first time in a year, I' ve started exercising again, by doing some skipping. But after 2 minutes, I was so tired and so out of breath and each time I tried to breath it felt as if my chest was being crushed! Is this normal? How long before I will get to 20 minutes, or even 30 minutes? I desperately want to shed 6kgs and can only do it through proper eating and execerise.

Hi Melissa

Skipping is a mighty tough form of exercise. I remember working with athletes who were provincial, and some national level runners and they found skipping to be one of the most intense and difficult exercises they ever did. So don't feel too bad.

My advice around skipping is that because it's so tough, you can't build a whole programme around it. You rather have to focus on other activities, to which you ADD skipping. So perhaps you can jog for 5 minutes, then skip, then jog for another 5, do some pushups, crunches etc. - sort of an overall training circuit that includes skipping. I think that this variety will be good for you and it also helps you work on other muscles too.