Question
Posted by: Mother | 2010/07/26

2 last questions re child and BMI

hi
Thank you for answering my question about my 11 yr old daughter. Her BMI of 22 was classified as overweight. I just want to know what the ideal BMI would be for her?

Also, regarding your advice to see a dietician. Is it necessary that she goes as well or will it be okay if I go alone?

thanks!

Dear Mother
To calculate your daughter's ideal BMI, I would need her height in metres and weight in kg. It is important that you take your lassie along to meet the dietitian because the dietitian will have to assess her and it will also demonstrate to her that you are doing something for her. She is the patient and therefore, needs to see the dietitian, who will work out her ideal BMI once she has measured your child's height and weight.

2
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2010/08/01

Hi, I have a 9 year old daughter who normally during school terms are very active. Though now, during our summer vacation, she has become quite the sloth. Only wants to read, play in her room, or watch TV.
My concern is that she has become quite obsessed about food. We have never had issues and have been eating very healthy (GI diet). But she literally gets up from the table and starts planning what she wants for her next meal. She has gained some weight over the holiday because of this. I am scared of making a big issue of this, because of young girls getting eating disorders. But am now a little stumped in what to do and how to handle this.
Please help

Reply to Worried Mom

Dear Mother