Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2017/06/22

2 and a half year old would not eat

My 2 and a half year old does not want to eat she only ask for water and milk , she has 3 bottles of pradiasure at night ( bed time and 2 throughout the night) she refuses to eat any food I put food down, she will eat 1 or 2 spoons and then push it back or she will start to cry or gag or tantrum but would not eat . She might eat 1 or 2 pieces of chicken en 2 or 3 slices of cucumber throughout the day. She was born at 37 weeks icu first 2 months lungs collapsed has a bad chest on meds for chest since birth, but either than that everything is is fine health wise ,but always had an issue with food. How do you get to eat or how what do I do from here. Get Outlook for iOS

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2017/06/25

Thanks for your question! There are many factors that can influence a childs appetite. In this case it is a bit of a catch-22 because the milk at night is filling her up, probably causing her to not want to eat during the day (but I understand that you are worried about her intake hence the bottles). Try to feed her more during the day and less during the night and also try let her eat with you at the table (so she can mimic you)? Please go visit a dietitian with a special interest in infant feeding (www.adsa.org.za) to assess her weight and intake as well as if there is a need to refer to an OT (in case of sensory problems).