Question
Posted by: Edie | 2010/11/08

19 weeks pregnant with severe abdominal pains - NOT LIgaments!

Dear Doc

I am currently 19 weeks pregnant. I went for my last gynae visit 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine. Right after the visit my ''problems'' started. This is my second pregnancy and I could feel quickening from quite early on. Beginning of last week I had a terrible pain in my stomach. I couldn''t figure out what it was, but I could barely stand upright and I couldn''t touch my stomach anywhere. I thought it might be stress and after a while it went away. It is not legimant pains, but more of a sharp overall pain.
Since then I have not felt quickening so much but thought that I could actually feel proper movements, but not very consistently. Now this weekend it happened again.
I know I should go to the doctor but I am really scared. My son (19 months) was in hospital last week and it was also quite stressful. Could this be part of the whole stress thing or could it be more serious?

It could be spastic colon, which is related to stress. However, the only way to know for sure is to see your doctor.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/08

I think you should at least phone your doctor and see whether he or she thinks you should come in - even if it is just to reassure yourself.

If you are still feeling movement that is I''m sure a good sign, but you should still check it out. I don''t think stress would cause you to have cramps like that, and if they aren''t ligament stretching then you should have it checked out.

Reply to Purple