Question
Posted by: Shazzy | 2008/08/05

19 month not eating

Please could you help! My daughter of 19 mnths is not eating at all. She' ll have 3 bites of oats in the morning, snack a biscuit at about 10 and have her bottle before sleeping. At lunchtime she doesn' t eat or maybe has 2 bites of veg& chicken. Afternoons she' s given " flings"  crisps and maybe has a vienna. Dinner time she does not eat at all. She has a bottle again at about 8pm and wakes up at least 3 times a night. How do I get her to start eating her food. It' s been going on for about 8 mnths, and doctors not too worried as she still has her bottle. But I' m concerned..

Dear Shazzy
At the age of 19 months your daughter should be fully weaned and able to eat small portions of normal foods that you make for the rest of the family. It is possible that she does not get hungry enough to eat normal food because she is still having bottles of milk, instead of drinking milk and other liquids out of a cup. Then there are the "flings" where she is given high-fat foods that will fill her up, but not provide balanced nutrition for her needs. If she has been checked by a Paediatrician to determine if she does not have an underlying problem, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you in completing the weaning process and also work out a diet for her that provides all the nutrients she needs for healthy growth. In the meanwhile click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on her age group to see what and how much she should be eating.