Question
Posted by: CAT | 2009/07/20

19 July

HI CD

Me again .. really difficult time my child turned 5 Sunday.. I am not fine .. don think I will ever be.. something is lost inside something is not getting better .. cant be one day without my tablets for depression.. noticed it .. whenever I skip one day emotional Tsunami.. will this be how I have to go through life.. not in the mood for this anymore.. not in the mood to pretend I am ok when I am not .. anyway I had to vent .. pressure cooker is going to explode inside..

Sorry to hear you're not fine. BUt, however discouraged you feel, do not conclude that you will never be fine. Some of us have recurrent depressions and need to remain on medication long-term, but like a diabetic taking lifelong insulin, this isn't so bad when compared to the alternative. But it sounds as though your emotional problems are being deal with only by medication, and suely you should also be receiving some good CBT counselling / therapy in there, as well.
When you mention emotional turmoil after mereyl missing on days; ose of the tablets, that sounds far more emotional in cause ( and thus more effectively dealt with by CBT ) than chemical, as though ADs differ in how rapidly they leave the body , none drop so significantly in blood levels to produce noticeable differences within a day or 2, and if one takes the next expected dose, its rare to experience a noticeable problem
And thanks, by the way, for calling me CD. If you could see how enormous I have grown while recovering from my surgeries, I was feeling more like a DVD !!

2
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009/07/22

Sorry, meant to say " as GPs JUST DON' T know as much" 
Kay

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009/07/22

Hang in there. No, it' s not how you have to go through life.

There' s been some research that indicates that those who persist in trying to find the medication that is right for them, have the best chance of succeeding and making it to relief/remission. It seems to say that there is highly likely that there IS a med that will work for you, and that you will find it as long as you persist in trying.

I know that' s really rough. I' ve had TOO many depressive episodes and sometimes ADs that worked before no longer worked, and I' ve had to go back to trying others, one at a time. Each trial is about 8 weeks, but if your current one isn' t working then what have you got to lose.. I have what is called ' hard-to treat'  or ' treatment-resistant'  depression yet each time I' ve hung in I have found one. DO go back to your doc and say that what you are on, isn' t working.

As CS says meds + therapy together are way more effective than either alone.

If possible try to see a psychiatrist, who will persist trying, as GPs just know as much about this.

Hang in. Hang in. And then hang in some more.

Kay

Reply to Kay in Gtown