Posted by: Ciska | 2012-04-20

18 month old restless sleeping

My son is 18 months old. He slept through from a young age and now all of a sudden he wakes 2 hours after going to sleep, again 2 hours later, and then finally early morning hours.

The problem is he wakes and immediately cries. Sometimes so bad that I can''t calm him down. If it is the so-called night terrors, how can I calm him? The one thing that has been helping is for me to sleep with him, but I don''t want him getting used to that...

I need him to sleep without fear and crying..

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Waking every couple of hours is OK, but waking the rest of the household is not.

If he has night terrors, just calm him down, and put him back to bed. Without you.

This will settle down over time, although it is very upsetting for you in the meantime.