Question
Posted by: Maria van Niekerk | 2011/07/21

18 month old dog lost use of her legs on left side of her body ..

My 18 month old Doberban Pincher, yesterday suddenly lost all use of her front left leg and her back left leg is stiff, so she is also unable to move around in it.
She does not cry from pain, is alert, but very sad because she isn''t mobile.

Our local vet said she may have had a stroke and gave her some cortisone, and said it is hard to say if she''ll recover at all.

Is there perhaps something else that could have caused this?

Hi Maria

I am more inclined to suggest that the clinical sign’s observed are a result an underlying neurological condition. For example Dobermans are known to be predisposed to the following:

Atlantoaxial subluxation, Wobblers syndrome – cervical vertebral malformation e.t.c.

If you have the available finances I would suggest that you go to a referral clinic and get a second opinion.
Please keep me informed.
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/07/25

Hi Maria

Please keep me informed.
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/21

I don''t really know - are we talking about a big Doberman or a mini? Could someone have come in and hurt her? Could she have been fed any kind of poison?

I must say I don''t think I''d be entirely happy if that was all my vet had to say about this. I daresay you''ve abbreviated your conversation with him in your post, but if not, I think I might be seeking another opinion somewhere. You could request a referral to a specialist.

On the other hand, the dog may improve as rapidly as this thing happened... I suppose it could be a pinched nerve or something (although this doesn''t seem very likely).

Let us know what happens!

Reply to Chill