Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2012/02/16

18 month old, Barra Mozambique, Malaria

Hello, I want to find out, since everybody has their own opinion, we will be going to Barra Mozambique for a week in April. Is it safe for my 18 month old if we get Malaria meds? Or should we rather leave him with granny?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Natasha,
Leave with Granny! There has been a huge increase in Malaria with the rains they have had. You must take necessary medication and precautions.
Regards,
Pete

3
Posted by: Christine | 2012/02/27

Hi Natasha
Definately leave with Granny. I on the other hand will not recommend you taking any malaria meds yourselves. You can purchase medication in Moz at any pharmacy called Quartem (its herbal) cannot get it in South Africa as yet. The people and I am talking quite a number of people that we know who stay permanently in Moz use Quartem if they have any of the normal symptons of Malari. I have personally seen it working on friends of ours when we were in Moz 2 years ago. Even if you do not have malari and you take it, it will nor harm you (that is now for adults). Trust this will help just been to Moz so many time. Christine

Reply to Christine
Posted by: Not an expert but been there | 2012/02/27

Definitely leave with Granny...

Barra/ Inhambane is a swamp land - making chances of malaria very high.

And, chances of baby picking up gastro is also very high:
baby + gastro + hot humid climate = dehydration.

Reply to Not an expert but been there
Posted by: Travel expert | 2012/02/21

Dear Natasha,
Regards,
Pete

Reply to Travel expert