Posted by: Lynn | 2010-07-05

18 mnth old snoring

Hi doc

My baby is snoring at night and I have been using the ALLECET for almost three weeks now after seeing the paediatrician.I know for his age he is not suppose to snore.Do you suggest I take him back to the paed or make an appointment with an ENT straightaway?

Kindly advise.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lynn

The most common cause of snoring in a child that age is the enlargement of the adenoid pad, which may require removal (adenoidectomy). This does not include other possibilities, such as indeed allergies. I think it is clear that the medication is not working, so another cause must be looked for. This may include infection, or enlarged adenoids.
If you need an opinion, you may ask the opinion of an ENT, but perhaps your paediatrician can advise you. You are correct that your baby should not be snoring, and a solution must be found. Adenoidectomy involves surgery and a general anaesthetic, so it should be the option only after conservative management has failed.