Question
Posted by: Maryna | 2011/05/20

17 yr old refuses to go to school

Please help my 17 yr old daughter is refusing to go back to school after there last holiday. She has been very hurt by family members and her self esteem is very low. I believe this is the reason and not school in itself. She says she wants to do homeschooling and sit at home everyday. She just doesn''t want to listen to me how unhealthy this will be. How can I help her and how can I get through to her how important it is to stay in school?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Maryna

If she is determined to not return to school, you can request of her that she sees an Educational Psychologist first before you will proceed with looking at home schooling. This provides the opportunity to have an open discussion about the problem and look towards solutions rather than you both ending up stuck in opposing views.

Home schooling does suit some young people but onl in a small number of cases. In general you are right that being in the social environment of a school also contributes very positively to someones development.

4
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/06/07

Home schooling is superior to other options in just about every way if there is a competent teacher(usually a parent) present. but this does not mean it is a valid cop out when life is hard.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: Maryna | 2011/06/06

Thank you, I am happy to report that she is back at school and although she was in the beginning not happy with me, she has now turned around and set that she has a new perspective on school, enjoying it and understand my decision. I do believe a lot of this was power play and that she likes to run away when things get tough. I explained to her that situations only dissapear when you face them that they will re-occur if run away from.

Reply to Maryna
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011/05/31

Hi Maryna

Reply to Teen expert
Posted by: Julia | 2011/05/27

She needs to see a psychologist.

Reply to Julia