Posted by: Col | 2011-08-31

17 Month Baby Girl Scratching and Biting!

Hi - my 17 month old Goddaughter is at the stage where she scratches and sometimes tries to bite us - she has learnt a few words and it seems as if she behaves like this when she is frustrated with not being able to communicate with us verballIy e.g. if I kiss her on her neck and she wants me to stop or if I am holding her and she wants to get down, etc. This happens with everyone, even her Mom and Dad. Is this ''normal'' child behaviour for this age and how should it be handled? Thank-you.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Dear Col
Is it possible that she is teething? Some babies bite because it soothes their irritated gums. If this is the case, try giving her a a cold teething ring to chew on.
If teething isn't the cause and she doesn't seem particularly anxious about something, which can sometimes be behind biting, try talking to her and telling her "no biting"
Be sure that no one laughs she bites and never use your child's biting as an excuse to give in to her demands. It is always a good idea to visit your pediatrician to rule out an ear infection or the like which may be causing her pain.