Question
Posted by: Bikermom | 2012/02/16

16 year old bike license

My 16 year old son wants to make an appointment for motorbike learners, me and hubby both are against it. we do not own a motorbike, and i hate the fact that my son wants to ride on one..please give me advice,the pros and cons of teenagers riding bikes.

Hardly my area of expertise ! But I'm sure other readers will be helpful here.
I wonder if you can locate some living EX-bikers with experiences like those mentioned by our readers, who you could bring to meet with your lad ?

5
Posted by: CP Mom | 2012/02/16

Just yesterday my friends 17year old son had a girl getting out of a taxi not looking where she went and he swerved out for her into a truck....use it / dont use it....let your son rather be cross with you then you cry at his funeral.

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Honest | 2012/02/16

My 17 year old was in a motor bike accident (hit by a drunk driver- not his fault)but got up and walked away with no injuries He never got on a road bike again as he realised how dangerous it is even if you are sensible.

We gave in to his requests, as you are thinking of doing. We were lucky. With hindsight we should have got him a car.

Reply to Honest
Posted by: Phil | 2012/02/16

I just want to add. Do yourself a bigfavor  go talk to die hard bikers  ask them in the past two years alone how many funerals they attended of biker friends.

And young boys  think they are bullet proof.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Phil | 2012/02/16

Been riding bikes all my life. Stood next to my friend 4 block from work while he died right there in the road. Stupid idiot skipped a stop. Small accident with a car meens panelbeating  with a bike it meens serious injuries and most likely death. I ride a super bike everyday to work to save on time  and I love bikes. I bought my son who is 13 now a scrambler. And he knows  when he is ready I will buy him a car. But he will not get a road bike ever. He knows what happened to my friend  and their are many many more examples of very young boys dying on bikes. I will  give you very honest advice. Buy your son a bike  and at the same time. Buy him a coffin.

Sorry to all my biker friends. And this comes  from a person that rides one of the fastest super bikes in the world  everyday. Doesn''t make sense I know. But I always say  I have had a life  and I have kids. My son is still very young  I want to see his kids one day. For now  he understands.

Reply to Phil