Question
Posted by: Riley | 2011-03-25

15yr old Duchshund peeing in the house

Dear Expert,

The love of my life, 15yr old Duchsund pee''s in the house even tho the door''s open.

This doesnt happen all the time, but it looks like he just get too lazy to go all the way outside, then he pee''s against the couch or cupbourd or against the toilet - in the shower!!

Why does he do this? Other times he askes to go out when the doors are closed.

He is deaf, but i tought him sign language - its too cute!!

He''s a very healthy and happy baby. I love him so much!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Riley, lovely to hear from you! I would firstly check your old man with the vet. Often when they get older they are just not able to hold it anymore and there is medication that can help.
A good idea would be to consider training him to eliminate on either a sod of grass placed in a kitty litter tray or in a special place on newspapers. Good luck, thanks for writing in, Scotty

2
Posted by: Nic | 2011-03-29

15 years old! Holy Cow if he was a human he''d be 107. I reckon a 107 year old human would probably be wearing diapers by now :) Isn''t it funny how every creature in ageing regresses to what we were as babies. I see they do doggy diapers now - maybe that''s an idea :)

Reply to Nic
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-03-27

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert