Question
Posted by: Single mom | 2010-04-27

15yo son carrying condoms

Hi there, Im a single mom, husband died 4 yrs ago + hav 1 child 15 yo. son. I have never really had a sex talk with him. The other day while he was playing rugby I did washing + was horrified to find a packet of condoms in his pocket. He has been taught good christian values + we go to church regularly, he even sings in the church choir. I''m having nightmares about him sleeping around - he dos not have a steady girlfriend. I can''t bring myself to talk to him about it. Should I ask my brother in law to speak to him? They have a good relationship since my husband is not here anymore. Brother in law has 2 sons 17 + 14 + my son also gets on well with these 2 cousins.

At the age of 15 your son will definately become very sexually aware and start exploring his sexual drives. Yes he needs a sex talk / advice. He most likely knows most of this by now, but it is always wise for him to have a trusting understanding male figure to talk to about sexual matters - even if it is your brother.

2
Posted by: R | 2010-04-29

Ask his uncle to speak to him. Your son must also understand you as the mum knows what''s going on. Being 15 in 2010 - he''s still very young, and sex does come with great responsibilities, not just fun.

Reply to R
Posted by: Jarrod | 2010-04-27

You might not like what Im about to say but here goes.
He is a 15yo boy in 2010! To be honest there is a very good chance he will be having sex soon, if he isnt already. I know you dont like the idea but atleast he is being smart about it and using condoms(or intends to use condoms). I would rather suggest you have a talk about safe sex and not sleeping around alot than trying to stop hom from having sex altogether.
Unfortunately its just the age that we live in. Sex at 15 is a norm unfortunately and sex at younger ages is becoming more common. And yes we need to try curb this but until we do, lets atleast keep our kids safe from stds and pregnancy etc

Reply to Jarrod