Question
Posted by: Mom | 2010/03/07

15 year old anxious and depressed

My son is 15 and he has struggled for most of his life with depression and anxiety. But he has never been on medication, as as a mom you always think it''s a stage or hormones.
What is starting to worry me now, is that his biological dad committed suicide 2 year ago, and his biological grand father also committed suicide a few year ago.
Should I take him to a phyciatrist and would the best medication be for him?He is also a very tall boy, and weighs about 85 kg so he is the same size as most fully grown men.
Thank you for your kind assistance.

Such a family history of suicide must ALWAYS be taken seriously. And combined with a history of chronic depression such as is uncommon in someone so young, there is no doubt that he should be seen by a really good local psychiatrist, maybe a child psychiatrist, for a full assessment and advice. Personally, I would like to see medication tried, but combined with CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which would help him learn to psychologically deal with the depression and reduce its power over him. I wouldn't delay such a consultation any longer, as he has probably been at significant risk for years, and it must have been a miserable break on his childhood. With proper treatment his chances of a longer and happier life should be significantly enhanced.

1