Posted by: Brenda | 2010-11-29

15 weeks pregnant, paranoid?

After trying to conceive for three years I fell pregnant on the first month using Fertomid. I had my first ultrasound at 11 weeks pregnant. The fetus measured 41mm and the heartbeat was 161 beats per minute. My doctor said he would like to do check ups every 4 weeks. Today, week 15 of my pregnancy, he took my blood pressure, pulse said he felt the top of my uterus during the routine check. There was no ultrasound done. This concerns me as I am worried if everything is going well with my little one and it seems that I will only be getting an ultrasound again at 21 weeks? Is it normal not to have gotten an ultrasound at this stage of the pregnancy and should I believe all is good is he feels the top of the uterus on my tummy?

Ultrasounds are only necessary 3 times during the pregnancy. Clinical examination tells whether ll is well. The size of the uterus is in keeping with your dates which is a good sign.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-11-30

There are only two scans (well three) that are really medically necessary during pregnancy - the first one at around 5 - 6 weeks to confirm and date the pregnancy, the nuchal translucency scan at around 12 or 13 weeks in conjunction with blood tests and the detailed scan at around 20 weeks.

However, most gynae''s will do a scan at every visit just to reassure you and let you have a look.

However, if a mother prefers not to or she is being overseen by a midwife, then she will only have the two or three scans during her pregnancy, or I suppose if that is her gynae''s preference.

If you are unhappy about this, then speak with your gynae and ask for a scan at every visit, or perhaps find a doctor you are more comfortable with.

I would also suggest that you buy the book " what to expect when you are expecting"  which is in a month by month question and answer format with the common questions during each phase of pregnancy. Something they do tell you as around about where the top of the uterus is at each stage of pregnancy, the only part I remember though is that its at around your belly button at 20 weeks.
Some older gynae''s still measure the height of the fundus and feel your tummy and so on, but most just do a scan.

Reply to Purple