Question
Posted by: noni | 2009/08/24

14KG AND ONLY A 13MNTHS OLD

DEAR DR , I AM WORRIED ABOUT MY SON WHO IS ONLY 13MNTHS OLD AND HAS NOT EVEN STARTED WALKING AND IS WEIGHING 14KG- I THINK IT' S BECAUSE OF HIS DIET PLAN AS HE HAS ONLY 3MEALS A day - I THINK THE PORTIONS ARE A LOT . ANY TIPS ON HOW BEST TO FEED HIM AND WHAT - THANK YOU

Dear Noni
Your son really does weigh far too much for the age of 13 months. He should weigh about 9 kg. The average weight for children of 3 years is 13 kg! I would urge you to have him examined by a Paediatrician to determine if he has any underlying problems that have caused this extreme weight gain. If he is given a clean bill of health by the dr, then please revise his eating plan. I don't know who gave you this eating plant but it must be far too much food for such a young child. If you click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' you will find articles on healthy eating for children of various ages, including infants, which outlined what and how much children should eat. I trust that this will assist you to change your son's food intake so that he start losing weight. Also encourage him to be as active as possible - play games with him, especially once he starts walking, and take him for swimming lessons when the weather warms up again because physical activity can help young children to lose weight.