Posted by: Parent | 2009-07-24

I hav reached the end of my tether. My son is in a Model C school, school fees are R1520 pm.
Since late last term and during the exams as well he goes with his dad and comes home after 10pm sometimes as late as 11.40pm. I have spoken to son but this still continues.
The 1st 2 days of the new term he did not go to school cos he could not find his school shoes. Dad doesnt make him look for this but buys him new shoes. Not that we have excess money.
Son has become arrogant, rebellious to the point where he tried to break my arm then picked up a clothes hanger to hit me.
I am concerned about his school work as no homework gets done. Should I go to the school and explain what is going on at home as well.

I hear that you are bothered, but I'm not clear about the details. Are you maried or divorced and sharing custody of the child ? Why is he going out with his dad late into the night ? To school or a tutor with regard to his studies ? to a bar ? Where and why ? If it is not to further his studies, the father seems to be behaving very irresponsibly. And to not go to school for 2 days, not finding his school shoes ? My parents always knew where my school shoes were, and would have sent me to school in slippers if I mislaid them.
Either way, it would be worth while approaching the school and discussing things with his teachers, and see if they have noticed any problems with him at that end. And persuade your husband to join you in marriaghe and family counselling urgently --- you seem to be discussing a dysfunctional marriage with 2 disconnected parents