Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2011-05-11

14 year old not interested in scool and career.

Please help my son is very clever he normally gets in the 70% - 80%.
It was his first term in Highschool and he failed 4 subjects and got 17%/20%/13% he complains he can never sit still in class.
He has no intrest in school and nothing we do is right.
I spoke to him about this and he said all he wants to do is play computer and when he grows up have just a little to survive and a computer.
How do I encourage him in doing better and giving more then normal that little bit extra and want something in his life. He is in a very expensive and good school and cant almost afford it but we believe he can do it, but he doesnt.
Please help.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

I would strongly suggest a psychological assessment preferably with an Educational Psychologist. The not being able to sit still at school may be indicative of an attentional problem, and this may also be contributing to his current behavioural presentation. A full assessment should hopefully identify the problems and help motivate him.

3
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011-06-07

Your son is exactly like I was at that age. He is probably bored because the school work is too easy for him, or it simply isn''t something he is interested in. Seeing as he loves computers so much, why not buy him a few textbooks on computer programming. Download Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express for him. It''s free of charge programme with which he can learn to create web sites and how to write software. he''ll soon learn a VERY lucrative skill. if he''s really good at it, you can have him write the Microsoft certification exams when he''s 16 or 17. That would impress any potential employer. A good first textbook is [Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 With VB and C#] ISBN 9780470549322.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011-05-31

Hi there,

Reply to Teen expert
Posted by: Eric | 2011-05-18

Sounds to me as if he either has ADHD or Autism or both which comes with a bunch of problems - firstly get him assessed as soon as possible...

Reply to Eric