Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2010-02-23

13yr old Eating problems

My 13 yr old will not eat her lunch at school. We have asked what she would like to eat and pack that for her but she brings her lunch tin home with all the food in. This started about a year ago. She has a cereal in the morning and then eats a toasted sandwich when she gets home and anything else she can get hold of i.e fruit, sweets, biscuits, yoghurt This is normally at about 4pm. She has her supper at about 7pm. I have tried everything with her. Should I leave her if she doesn''t want to eat at school? I feel this is not healthy.

Dear Nicky
The teenage years are difficult because young people are busy exploring their world and its boundaries. However, not eating anything between breakfast and her belated 'lunch' at 4 pm, is not a good idea because a skipped meal tends to lead to overeating (which happens to your daughter every day). It may help to point this out to her and also mention that one cannot concentrate if the brain is starved of energy. So try giving her half the usual amount of food to take to school and challenge her to "keep her brain active" and "not to binge when she gets home". This does not mean that she can't have a mid-afternoon snack of fruit and low-fat yoghurt to prevent the 4 pm dip in blood sugar that happens to many people. Also find out if she is buying other snacks, cold drinks and food at school or on the way to school, or if she is being fed by her class mates. This could well account for her not eating her own lunches.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-23

Dear Nicky