Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-09-23

13 year old

I recently moved from Durban to Gauteng with my 13 year old son who is in Grade 8. Due to an unforseen delay, we arrived in Gauteng about 3 weeks before the 2nd term exam. The 2nd term report was a condoned pass and although he has been here for the entire 3rd term, he has failed...Maths and EMS. How do I deal with this as I cannot stand the fact that he failed. He is an intelligent boy but just more interested in the social aspects at school.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Sometimes a move can be difficult and the emotional after effects can have an impact on our productivity, be that work or school.

I would recommend you see an Educational Psychologist to have your son assessed. This way you will have a clear picture of his potential, but also any problems that may be impeding his learning. Fom there, the Psychologist can make recommendations reagrding maximising his learning potential.

1
Posted by: Lorna | 2010-09-26

So sorry to hear about your son..........The only advice I can give you is to speak to his teacher/teachers and ask if he can have extra lessons or extra homework so he can catch up. It''s more than likely the move that has caused him to fail it''s very difficult for children to adjust at short notice, just be patient with him it''s no use going off the deep end and also don''t keep pushing him and reminding him he failed give him your support. I hope my advice was helpful !

Reply to Lorna