Posted by: Corlie | 2008-11-04

13 month old on rooibos - very hungry!

My son is 13 months old. He developed petechiae about 3 weeks ago, due to a possible allergic reaction for the cow' s milk (long life) that I changed him to the previous week, combined with a viral infection (sinusitis).

His peadiatrician suggested that we cut out dairy for 2 weeks to see how it goes.

It goes very well.
He eats so much better, he isn' t so constipated anymore and the wheezing that he had in his chest since I started him on formula, is gone (unfortunately he developed a cold last week, and currently has a lot of phlem in his chest again...).

I would like to keep him on the rooibos for a longer period, but need to know how much he is supposed to eat, and how often.

He normally has a bottle of rooibos when he wakes up at about 06:00, about 250ml.
He has about 1 and 1/2 weetbix at the daycare at 08:30, rooibos again during the morning, cooked meal (meat, veggies and starch) at lunch about 12:30, rooibos again during the afternoon, dinner at 17:30 and rooibos again when he goes to bed at about 20:00.

But, he seems to be very hungry. He used to be on Lactogen - it was the only formula that kept him happy. I can imagine that the change to rooibos is a big shock to his system.

Being hungry obviously makes him cranky and clingy, but I can' t give him food 24/7? Would low GI food make a difference (I don' t know much about it)? Or should I consider giving him milk again? In last week, he had 2 bowls of food for lunch - his daycare-mother said that he was still moaning and whining when his first bowl was finished and when they offered him a 2nd he gladly ate and was content after that. Sometimes at dinner, he would actually start crying when his bowl is empty... To me that means that he still is hungry.

I would very much like to keep him off the dairy, because of his chest, but don' t want him to be hungry all the time...

He isn' t overweight (approx 11kg).

Please advise.

Dear Corlie
Your poor lad. I think he is very hungry because rooibos tea without milk and sugar contains zero kilojoules, whereas he was getting plenty of energy from his milk before! No wonder he eats 2 bowls of food at one sitting. Now what you need to do is to make sure that he is getting enough energy from fruit, vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, bread, porridge, etc for the 2 weeks that he is off the milk and even a little longer until his cold has completely cleared up. Give him the rooibos for his liquid intake, but keep in mind that it does not contribute to his energy needs. Then when he is 100% better (no colds, no phlegm, no petechiae, no runny nose, etc), reintroduce a small quantity of his previous formula for a few days. Monitor how he reacts - does he get chesty again, does he get a rash, etc. If not, then you can start him on the Lactogen again for a month or so. Then slowly introduce cow's milk (you can dilute it a bit) and monitor his reactions. If no reactions occur, then well and good, but if he does at any stage of this reintroduction of milk revert to his symptoms, then you may have to exclude cow's milk for a longer period. In such as case it is VITAL that you give him another source of calcium such as calcium-enriched soy milk (buy in supermarkets but check to see if it contains about 1 mg of calcium per ml of milk) or a paediatric calcium supplement (ask your chemist for a complete calcium substitute if he does not use any milk - cow's or soya) otherwise his bones and teeth will not grow properly. Also click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on "Diets for Toddlers" to see what and how much your lad should be eating to prevent him from getting hungry and to ensure that he grows normally.

Posted by: Nanna | 2009-05-06

My 7month old baby weigh 11and a half kg. Is he overweight or not? And what can I do about it. He drinks Lactogen 2 and started on solids.

Reply to Nanna