Question
Posted by: Zen | 2008/08/11

12month old and solid food

I' m struggling to get my 12month old girl to eat food that is more solid. If there are any pieces in her food, she takes them out with her fingers or start gagging herself - which usually results in her vomiting. I make food myself (protein combined with veggies) and also give her Purity (nr. 4 foods).

My problem is that she has now moved to an older class at creche where the children are 1-2 years old and they feed them solid food. If she doesn' t eat the food (even if they mash it a little) she ends up eating only fruit.

How can I go about to get her to eat more solid food? I have given her some " finger foods" , but she just plays with it. She is not a big eater, but drinks about 700-960ml formula per day (soja).

She is also allergic so milk (dairy), eggs and peanuts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it is very important for speach development that she introduced to coarser food textures, as well as for her development and growth.

Dear Zen
I can imagine that you must be getting very frustrated that your lassie refuses to eat solid foods. I would recommend that you have her examined by a Paediatrician just to make sure that she does not have a physical problem with swallowing - this is rare, but can cause an aversion to eating pieces of food instead of just purees. However seeing that she does eat fruit (which is a solid) she can probably swallow larger pieces. I think this is a situation where she needs to be seen by a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help both of you through this difficult transitional period. It is possible that she is having so much formula (nearly a litre per day) that this suppresses her appetite and the dietitian will have to work out what foods she can eat (taking her allergies into account) if the formula is reduced to stimulate her appetite. It will also help you to be able to discuss your child's habit of gagging and how this can be circumvented.
Holding thumbs for both of you