Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2011-06-17

1200 calories a day

Morning Diet Doc.
Im getting a breast reduction surgery 2 months time, My BMI is currently around 35, I am 1.65 tall and weigh 91kg. My Doc told me medical aid won’ t approve if my bmi is above 30. So He told me to go lose some weight and come back when it is at least 32. I know it is wrong to go on fad diets but I know it is also wrong to be obese. I started counting calories and going to gym and since my problem is self discipline and I decided to go on Duromine (which I will not take 4 weeks before the operation)
Now I need to know, As much as I want to lose fast I also don’ t want to damage my body, I eat between 1050 and 1200 calories a day of healthy foods, fruits skinless chicken, boiled veggies and drink lots of fluids. And gym for 1hour to 2 hours a day by doing circuit training and attending aerobic classes.
I want to lose 10kg in 3 weeks. And I know its archievable because I have lost 9kg in 2 weeks in January and only put 3 back. So far I have lost 2 kg in 2 days.
Will my drastic weight loss diet affect my surgery at all?

Dear Concerned
As you quite correctly say, both obesity and fad diets are potentially harmful to health. As a dietitian, I would recommend that you don't reduce your energy intake to below 1200 kcal (ideally 1500 kcal) per day when slimming and doing such a lot of exercise. I would also recommend that you have at least one serving of low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) carbohydrates at each meal (a high-fibre cereal at breakfast and a slice of low-GI bread or Pro-Vitas at lunch, and one low-GI starch such as brown rice at supper). My reason is that you will need some source of energy to fuel your exercise, otherwise you will start feeling exhausted and not be able to maintain your exercise programme. Carbs have the lowest energy content of all the so-called macronutrients (only 16 kJ per gram), compared to protein (17 kJ per gram) and fat (which is whopping 37 kJ per gram), so having low-fat carbs won't counteract your diet and it will give you enough energy to sustain all that exercise esp when you do 2 hours a day! Also don't overdo the liquid intake, because although it is a good idea to have 2,5 litres of liquid (water, soda water, black teas, fat-free milk, etc) a day, overdoing liquid intake can cause electrolyte imbalances (sodium, potassium, magnesium and even calcium), which can be potentially harmful and even cause water retention so that when you step on the scale, your weight may go up instead of down. If you do not include 3 servings of fat-free milk/yoghurt/cottage cheese in your slimming diet then it is also important to take a calcium supplement to provide the 1200 mg of calcium you require daily. I think it is a good idea not to take slimming pills for the month before you operation and to also make sure that you do not stress yourself too much. I shall hold thumbs that you do lose those 10 kg before the op because you would then have a BMI of 29,8, which is well below the 32 that your dr has specified.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-06-17

Dear Concerned