Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2011/09/19

12 year old cat acting weird

Can a cat become mentally ill? My cat has been acting weird for the past few months or so. He will be asleep and then jump right up from that position into the air, making aweird sound, land on all fours and just stand there. Not looking at anything. Standing totally motionless. You can pat him or wave your hands in front of his eyes, but he won''t react for about a minute, then do a 180 turn and stand still again turn, stand still and then jump up again and out the door only to return an hour later. Is this normal?

Hi Samantha

There are certain conditions that may cause this type of behaviour. It will be important to take your cat to the vet for a proper clinical evaluation and diagnostics to ascertain what the problem may be.

Some conditions that may cause the above include: Feline hyperesthesia, Toxoplasmosis, Brain Tumours, Feline Infectious Peritonitis, Herpes virus, Calicivirus, Feline Leukaemia, Hepatic Encephalopathy, Spinal Disc Disease, Hyperthyroidism, Flea Allergy dermatitis etc

I hope this can give you a brief outline as to the complexity of the problem at hand. It will certainly need the hands-on diagnosis of your vet to treat your cat.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/09/20

Hi Samantha

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Jane | 2011/09/19

Please take your cat to your Vet for a check - older cats can have similar problems to man when they get older. Please speak to your vet.

Reply to Jane