Posted by: Michelle | 2009-05-22

12 Week Yorkie Scratch

My 12 week yorkshire terrier pup scratches his neck every day. Yesterday I find a small clump of hair on my carpet - not pulled out at roots, does not looks like he misses any hair on his body - nothing noticeable. He also likes to chew on EVERYTHING. He has 2 chew shoe toys bought at petshop, a thick rope, ball and 2 other toys. Do dogs groom themselves, because he is like that - is this normal? I wash him once per week with bob martin dog shampoo. I give him dogtreats, Hills dry food, mince, chicken with rice, macaroni, mix frozen veg, water.

Dear Michelle

The only question in your long story is if grooming is normal for a dog. If he is losing hair that is not normal. It can be fleas mites etc.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-22

Puppies do scratch a bit - make sure he doesn' t have fleas, you can also part the hair where he' s scratching, and check the skin. If it' s red or irritated or looks damp, see the vet - otherwise, don' t fuss.

I have no clue why anyone would want to bath a puppy at all, let alone once a week - you are in fact upsetting the natural balance of his skin and coat. Brush him gently, and that' s all - if he has rolled in something, or dribbled, just wipe it off with a damp cloth.

You' re also overfeeding him. He should ONLY be getting suitable puppy chunks, which you may - if he prefers - soften in water. That is a professionally created balanced diet - all that other stuff you' re giving him in fact UNbalances his diet.

Obviously a small treat a few times a day won' t harm him, but the more macaroni and stuff - empty calories with hardly any nutritional value - the less of the proper puppy stuff he' ll eat. And that' s apart from spoiling him...

Reply to Chill