Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/06/14

12 week appointment

I had my first child in January 2009. My second child is due in January 2011.

I had my 8 week appointment last week - the gynae did a scan and confirmed the pregnancy. There were no blood tests done.

I see the gynae again at 12 weeks. At what stage will blood tests be required?

Thank you.

Between 10 and 13 weeks.

2

Between 10 and 13 weeks.

Posted by: Racoon | 2010/06/14

You need to go for the first trimester screening at 11 weeks. It consists of a detail scan that measures the nuchal fold (neck skin thickness) and a blood test for Papp-A and free hHcg. Some gynaes do not do this test, which is absolutely shocking as it is the most accurate of the Downs screening test. Please ask you gynae about it.

Reply to Racoon