Question
Posted by: Fred | 2008/10/27

12 Step Programme

Hi CS,

What is your opinion on the 12 Step programme.

Do you think it adds value if you want to stop drinking or do I need to also spead to a CBT person?

I think the evidence is broadly in favour of CBT over-all. But I don't think there'd be a problem in combining it with a 12-step program, though you might want to start CBT and discuss this with your therapist. I haven't seen much really good research evaluation of 12=stgep programs, but obviously many people believe in them. I suspect they're based in both experience and a touch of superstitition. But if they work for you, that's good

1
Posted by: Harry | 2008/12/17

My opinion is a 12 step program is not for everyone. I' ve seen instances where it actually causes more harm than good in a relationship.

The older, more senior members tend to prey on younger, vulerable (females) and convince them they are ' true'  friends. This generally ends up with 13 stepping - frowned upon, but happens more often than one thing.

After a few months, the meeting morphs from ' support'  to ' social'  with members attending for the social aspect only.

Reply to Harry