Question
Posted by: Sonja | 2010-04-12

11 Year old ready for period yet??

Hi Doc,

My 11 year old girl turned 11 the 5th of April about a week prior to that she had the most terrible pain in the lower abdomen of her stomach and actually vomited from the pain. After 2 days she was better again so it was not a typical tummy bug or something. She already did develop breasts about a year ago. When can I be expecting her to get her period? Is there something that can be given to girls this young to stop it from happening so soon?

This is a normal age for periods to start and the normal processes should be allowed to proceed. I can't tell you exactly when her periods will start but, if she has developed breasts and pubic hair, it will probably be within the next year

8
Posted by: Sonja | 2010-04-14

Thanks so much for the feedback, I have explained to her and bought her the a very good book that explains everything in detail to her, it''s just I feel like she''s my little baby and these things should not start happening to her yet :( So I guess I will have to work on it rather than be scared for her part...thanks guys really appreciate all your input and help

Kind Regards

Reply to Sonja
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-04-14

Posted by: Racoon | 2010-04-13

I also started at 11 - thats just nature taking its course. Best to have the birds and bees talk asap so that it isn''t a huge shock when she has her first period. And hey, its a great day in any young girls life when that happens!

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010-04-13

Hi Sonja

That is totally natural for her to begin having her periods soon. Dont give her anything as it could mess up her cycle.
I started at 10 and my mom had explained everything and made sure I had sanity towels / pads in my cupboard , for just in case it started. Dont let her start bleeding &  she does not know what is happening to her body. If she has developed breast, make sure she is fitted with a good bra so kids wont tease her as she develops and her nipples show through her clothes.

If you are not sure how to explain menstruation to her, you can buy a book -a very easy one that has pictures of boys &  girls bodies that show the difference and what she will go though &  what she can expect. Dont just give her the book for her to read on her own. Sit down with her give her a little explanation and show her some pictures &  show her how to use the pads &  how to dispose of them especially when she is at school. Ask her if they have sanity towel bins at school in the girls toilets. Some do &  some dont. you might have to see the principal to organize that so that she does not have to walk around with used pads in her suite case. i have been on the school PA so we had to organize it for our girls .

There might be questions she would want to ask you so leave the book with her so she can go though it at her own pace or when menstruation starts then she can refer to things herself but make sure she knows she can come &  discuss anything with you about that, sex &  babies. Always tell the truth and dont scare her with old wife''s tales.-She will ask you more questions when she is ready.

Explain how often to wash etc so she does not smell and how often to remove a tampon when she goes swimming so she wont feel out if the boys &  girls go swimming. They dont have to know she has her period because she can use a tampon &  still swim , if she so feels. Good Luck with your daughter.

Reply to Momof3
Posted by: EARLY | 2010-04-12

I STARTED AT 10, BUT MY MOTHER HAD EXPLAINED WHAT IS GOING ON, SO YOUR KID IS GOING THROUGH SUCH EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING THROUGH AND LET NATURE TAKE ITS CAUSE

Reply to EARLY
Posted by: Anon | 2010-04-12

I started at 9 and yes it was nor pleasant but is was natural. Explain things to her, so she knows what to expect and how to handle this situation.

Posted by: Anon | 2010-04-12

Posted by: Me | 2010-04-12

My 2 cents worth.

If I were you I would let nature take its course. Some girls do menstruate at 11 even at 10.

Reply to Me