Posted by: anon | 2009-03-25

11-Year old bleed for 3 wks!

Hi could you please advise me, my 11 year old 3rd month of period quite heavy, she bled for 3 wks out of a month should I be woried or is it just her body adjusting to menstruation.

This is common at the start of menstruation. If it persists, she could go on the Pill for a few months.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-26

No sexual abuse, no infection just body reajusting the menstruation, been to the doctor, thanks.

Posted by: gwen | 2009-03-26

I think the gynae should actually examine her (doesn' t sound like this was done) to exclude anything more serious before just prescribing contraceptive pills. Excessive vaginal bleeding can indicate problems like infection, cancer or sexual abuse. These might be unlikely, but you should make sure that they' re excluded anyway.

Reply to gwen
Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-26

I did contact my gynea, she does not bleed non stop sometimes it stop gynae said her body need to adjust if this does not happen he will put her on a contraceptive.

Posted by: Leila | 2009-03-25

I had the same problem as a child and it turned out later that I developed endometriosys. You could take her to a gynea, but there realy isn' t much to do about it except put her on a pill, which a doc normally won' t do before the age of 16. I would suggest taking her to a GP for your own peace of mind. Then ASK the GP to explain everything as clear as possible so that your daughter can also understand what' s happening to her body. Stress or an incorrect diet can also cause this, if this is the case it can be corrected easily.

You are not a bad mother, some girls'  bodies just word differently. At times I bled 6 wks non stop, stopped for 2 wks then started again. Its part of life, BUT your daughter could develope an iron defficiency or anemia if this persist.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: CC | 2009-03-25

What type of mother are you anyone with some sense will take her to the Dr.

Reply to CC