Question
Posted by: I | 2010-07-24

11-year-old and periods

My daughter has started developing breasts and pubic and underarm hair which I suppose is normal for her age?

Two of her friends have had their first period. That seems so early! What is the normal/average age of menarche? I also want to be prepared for when it happens and was wondering what sanitary wear is suitable for her age? Tampons/pads?

Th average age of menarche is 11.75 years, but varies with weight, country,etc. It is probably best to start with pads.

2
Posted by: M03 | 2010-07-25

I started menstrating at 9! It can happen at any age (once devel opment takes place) I had a friend who only started her period at 21!

I thin ite best to start her off with pads then as she and you get more comfortable with the situation.. introduce tampons...

Reply to M03
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-07-25