Question
Posted by: My successful dieting plan | 2010/10/06

11 steps to the thinner you

I am supposed to weigh 76-78. I weighed 88. So I started dieting. This morning I was 82.8 after 7 weeks. Here are my secrets.

1. Eat the same meals every day as a baseline. It''s boring, but it''s the only way you can gaurantee regular weight loss.
2. Don''t fall for the ''6 meals a day'' hype. You end up eating more. Eat your normal three squares. You don''t have to change your eating habits to lose weight and if you don''t buy snacks, you won''t eat them :)
3. Eat what you like. Just less of it. Portion sizes are the most important factor in weight loss, and the least-mentioned one.
4. Go to sleep earlier. The longer you are awake after dinner, the hungrier you''ll get. Eventually you''ll start snacking.
5. Excercise an hour a day.
6. Weigh yourself naked every morning after your morning ablutions. Record the weight in a spreadsheet and graph it so you can see the trend over time. Daily variations don''t matter as long as the 10-day trend is downward. If you only weigh yourself once a week, you don''t get to see what effect your eating patterns have on your weight.
7. Don''t beat yourself up if you aren''t sticking to your weight-loss schedule. You''ve got the rest of your life to be thin, remember? Crash dieting in despair will end in binge eating.
8. Don''t ban anything from your menu. My daily menu includes a chocolate bar / ice cream and a couple of chewy sweets for dessert after dinner. Yum :)
9. If you do decide to gorge on a huge burger and chips, skip a meal to make up for it.
10. Use hot drinks to keep your stomach full between meals. Rooibos tea with no sugar or milk is perfect and non-fattening.
11. Admire the results in the mirror regularly. When you see the flab peeling away, you''ll feel more motivated.

What I''ve realised is that most dieting advice is completely at odds with how humans react to food and eating. By sticking to the above 11 points, I''ve lost 6kg in 7 weeks without being miserable or feeling constantly hungry, or having any guilt feelings about the occasional burger and chips. 6kg to go :)

Dear 'Successful Eating Plan'
Congratulations on losing those 5 kg and thank you for sharing your thoughts on losing weight with the other Readers. I am sure that the other Readers will draw inspiration from your example.
Good luck with the last 6 kg.

3
Posted by: Linda | 2010/10/07

Dear Successful Eating plan
Once you have finished with the 11 steps, and lost the last 6kg''s, how do you maintain your weight loss, and what will you eat not to pick up the weight you''ve already lost?

Reply to Linda
Posted by: Lyn | 2010/10/07

I have lost 16kg with the 6 meals a day " hype" , and I only exercise 30 min per day. If you learn to choose low energy foods, you will actually eat less per day. I eat 6 times per day, and my energy consumption is +/- 1700 per day. I actually have increased it on purpose because I have now started to exercise more, and I do not need to lose any more weight. I allready have a sixpack.

Reply to Lyn

Dear 'Successful Eating Plan'
Good luck with the last 6 kg.