Posted by: Nicole | 2012-05-16

11 month old - every 2 hours

My 11 month old wakes up every two hours at night he has done this since birth (he is breast fed still ). While before I had some relief in the fact that he went to bed easily at 1930 and slept to 1200 then started his every two hours but for the past four months he wakes up as soon as we go to bed (2130) and wakes up every two hours. then is wake for the day at 0500.

Now he does not even go down easily anymore at bed time either.

i can''t cope anymore
he has had a strict bed time ritual since birth

supper bath boob bed.

we have tried introducing formula to see if that will make him sleep better, nothing

we have tried
recue tablets, rescue drops, sister lillian products, a codine based pain killer (prescribed by the pead)
baby massage, lavender oil etc etc etc etc

he eats well and drinks well

but when he wakes up he wants to nurse he does not want water or his dummy
he wants to be picked up and nursed and falls right back to sleep

i refuse to try crying it out he gets hysterical if his needs aren''t met to the extent that his will sob and cough and near vomit then it takes even longer to calm him and get him to sleep

i do not rock him to sleep
if it is a especially hard night my husband will rock him at bed time but not again at anytime during the night

we put him down tired by awake
but the minute he hits the cot he rolls over and crawls around the cot or stands up giggling away.

i am near ready to throw him across the room

i love my child but i am so depressed from the lack of sleep that i dread bedtime and the night ahead
i don''t bother falling alseep before 2200 as he is going to be awake any way

please help me

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Please see your pediatrician to check him out for any issues. It is normal for a child (and everyone else) to wake regularly, but he needs to learn that he is not going to get attention just because he wakes. Remember, his genes are finding the best way to get attention, without regard for you!

There are various ways to deal with this, and they are all in the self-help books. You can try whichever seems the best to you.

Otherwise, Dr Alison Bentley at Wits Medical School has a particular interest in children's sleeping disorders, and you might try to get hold of her.