Question
Posted by: Ros | 2009-11-11

11 month old baby - aggresive

I am just wondering if there is something to be worried about.
My daughter is 11 months and not a very loving child, she is friendly though, but when she plays with her toys she gets aggressive and screams, when she looks at books she tears the pages. If you kiss her to much, she tries to bite you.

Should I get help for her or is it just a stage in her life?
We are not angry parents and don' t fight much or physically fight at all. Why would she be so aggressive?

Aggressive, or assertive, one wonders ? Let's see what other parents comment ( even specialists don't spend many hours with any children but their own !). Sounds like its more likely to be a phase, but keepan eye on things, and if it worsens or becomes unduly persistant, consulting a child shrink might not be a bad idea.

3
Posted by: Wise Owl | 2009-11-12

Sorry to say to all you bleeding hearts but a good sharp slap has NEVER done any harm and really establishes who is who in the Zoo. Yes, by all means remove the books or whatever and say " No, we don' t do this or that"  but its always accompanied with a bit of the physical. Tried and tested. As soon as the physical correction was removed from schools and parenting, by law, we have ended up with the most ill disciplined, disrespectful youngsters ever ! If the cane was reintroduced at school and in the Courts, there would be far less repeat offenders and less crowding in prisons. A good dose of 6 cuts is a very effective reminder not to repeat the unsociable behavior. If you don' t nip the termper tantrums in the early stages, it will develop into a situation that cannot be salvaged. Give her a good slap !!

Reply to Wise Owl
Posted by: woman | 2009-11-11

It' s called the terrible two' s - she just struck it a little early. The terrible two' s are when children challenge their boundaries. I suggest you start reading up on alternative discipline (not spanking) and making sure that your little girl starts getting to know her boundaries.

This is a very important developmental stage, and this is where the foundation for your future family happiness (or pain) is laid. When you need to say no, try to imagine that if you don' t do it, how will you lay boundaries later. How will you (and she) react in later years, when she wants to go out with boys at 11, go clubbing at 14, have a car, do her chores.I think you get the idea.

Do yourself the favour and watch a few episodes of super nanny - you' ll get the idea of what can happen when she makes the rules and not you.

If she throws her toys, take them away. If she cries, go down to her level and tell her in an authoritative voice : " NO, we don' t throw our toys around"  let her cry and ignore her until it passes. She' ll soon get the idea. The same goes for biting, and any other naughty behavior.

I' m doing this for the third time, and it' s not fun, but very much worth the effort to have older, well behaved children

Reply to woman