11 month baby -Ears

Can you please advise,

My baby girl is almost 11 months. She has been to an ENT specialist because her paediatrician suspected something wrong with the ears. The ENT specialist said the first time that we should give a nose spray for 2 weeks and go again.

Then we went again and she did a test the check the " pressure"  in the ears and said it was not ok and she gave it another 2 weeks. She said that we might have to get grommets for the ears.

Then when I went back for the third time she said the pressure looked fine and grommets was not necessary.

But now she is pulling her ears the whole time and crying a lot at night. I know this might be teething, but how am I sure? And how many nights will teething cause painful ears, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now. She also had tonsilitus 2 weeks ago.

Must I take her back to the ENT specialist?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anonymous

She could have another ear infection or have fluid behind the eardrums (otitis media with effusion). This is a very common problem and can re-occur. Usually otitis media with effusion willl resolve after a few weeks but grommets might be required if it does not or it causes deafness or discomfort.

I would suggest another evaluation by your ENT to assess the need for grommets.